Wednesday, August 17, 2011

St. Valentine's Baked Ziti

Ok, this is more intense, especially for my standards, 
so I usually buy the ingredients ahead of time
and wait for the mood to strike.
Also, it's St. Valentine's because that's the day I first made it.
My valentine loves his baked ziti.

1 lb dry ziti pasta
1/2-1 onion, chopped (I tend to use less onion generally)
1 lb ground beef
2 (26 oz) jars spaghetti sauce (I use Hunts cans, any flavor)
6-8 slices Provolone cheese
1 1/2 cups sour cream
6 oz shredded Mozzarella
2 tbsp grated Parmesan

Cook ziti in big pot (I add 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil to keep the pasta from stickin together).

At the same time, brown the beef and onion in large skillet. Then add the spaghetti sauce and simmer for 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350. Spray 9x13 baking dish.

Layer ingredients in the dish as follows:
  • 1/2 of the ziti
  • slices of Provolone cheese, evenly layered
  • sour cream, evenly spread
  • 1/2 the sauce and beef mix
  • remaining ziti
  • 1/2 Mozzarella cheese
  • remaining sauce and beef mix
  • remaining Mozzarella cheese
  • Top with grated Parmesan
Bake for 30 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. The whole family loved it! And the only thing that I changed was the sauce. I added a can of tomato sauce, brown sugar, and Italian seasoning to the meat and can of spaghetti sauce.
    Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole family loved it! The only thing that I changed was the sauce. I added italian seasoning, a can of tomato sauce, and brown sugar. I just used one jar of spaghetti sauce. It turned out great! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Did you like it? Did you change it up at all? Let me know!